- Helps alleviate bad breath by producing more saliva which helps reduce odor causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Saliva also helps balance the acid levels in our stomachs so chewing gum can help alleviate heartburn. Because of this process it may also alleviate nausea.
- Replacing unnecessary sweets with some sugar-free gum can help stave off hunger and keeps you from eating junk which can help with your weight-loss goals.
- May improve memory and concentration. The theory is that chewing stimulates blood flow to the brain which allows for better focus.
- Other studies show that chewing gum reduces stress hormones, so the act of chewing may be beneficial to those that are anxious or stressed.
Just remember to keep it sugar-free and mix it up with some variety so you don’t get bored, and be aware of sugar cravings or bloating which can happen when having too much gum.