- Non-stick olive oil cooking spray
- 2/3 cup mild honey like clover or orange blossom
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder like Ghirardelli
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour like King Arthur Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment and spray with olive oil.
- Measure the honey into a deep-sided small bowl and microwave on high power 45 seconds.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and let cool.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a large bowl whisk applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla together until well combined.
- Whisk in the cooled honey-cocoa mixture until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until all the flour is incorporated.
- Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips if using.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake until the surface looks dry around the edges and a toothpick in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, about 25 minutes or 30 minutes if you added walnuts and chocolate chips. Don’t over bake.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack.
- Once cool refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the brownies using the parchment to a cutting board and slice into 16 squares.
- For clean cuts wipe the knife clean after each cut and dip in hot water.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place 3-4 days.
78 calories per brownie (137 calories with walnuts and chocolate chips)
Counts as: 1 can be used as a snack