Apples are back in season!
Try this delicious snack, to make the most of fall’s delicious bounty!
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 4 medium apples
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) reduced fat peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine orange juice, honey and Splenda Brown Sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in oil and vanilla.
- Pour honey mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes, stirring well halfway through.
- Stir in dried cranberries and let cool completely.
- To assemble sandwiches, core each apple and cut into ¼-inch slices (8 slices per apple). If you won’t be eating these right away, brush the apples slices with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- Spread a layer of peanut butter on eight apple slices then sprinkle with granola. Top with remaining apple slices, pressing down gently to make the sandwiches.
Recipe makes 4 servings. Count each serving as a Snack + 1 Fruit. Enjoy!
CLICK HERE for the PDF