No grease, no frying, no mess!
(Just make sure you have a waffle maker before you begin)
- 2 cups shredded potatoes – approximately 10 ounces
- ½ cup shredded sweet onion
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Toss potatoes, onion and salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a sieve set over a medium bowl; let drain for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat a classic waffle iron to high.
- Squeeze the potato mixture, a handful at a time, over the bowl to release excess moisture – allow some moisture to remain.
- Pour out the liquid and return the squeezed potato mixture to the bowl. Stir in egg and pepper.
- Spray the waffle maker. Place a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture in each quadrant and spread each to a 2-inch-wide circle. Close the lid and cook the latkes until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Makes 4 servings. Count each serving as a starch.
CLICK HERE for the PDF