8-10 cups air popped popcorn
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
½ cup sugar-free maple syrup
2 tablespoons almond butter or reduced fat peanut butter
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- Pop popcorn in air popper.
- Pour the popcorn into your bowl, taking care not to pour in any unpopped kernels from the bottom of the pot. If necessary, pick out any unpopped kernels that made it into the bowl with a spoon.
- To make the caramel sauce: In a small, heavy bottomed pot, bring the maple syrup to a boil over medium heat. Keep a watchful eye on the syrup and continue boiling for 2 minutes and 30 seconds, reducing heat only if necessary to prevent overflow. Remove the pot from heat.
- Add the nut butter, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon to the pot of maple syrup. Whisk until well blended. Add the nuts to the popcorn, then drizzle the maple mixture over the popcorn and nuts.
- Toss with a rubber spatula or big spoon until well mixed. Pour the popcorn onto a parchment covered baking sheet and arrange it in a single layer.
- Bake the popcorn on 350°F for 6 minutes, then rotate the pan and cook for another 2 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional cinnamon and salt, to taste. The popcorn will continue to crisp up as it cools. Once it’s cool, break the popcorn into pieces (or leave them in chunks!) and serve.
Makes 4 servings. Count each serving as a snack.