Before the fast:
- Eat regularly throughout the day
- Drink lots of extra water throughout the day
- Avoid salty foods such as sauerkraut, pickles, soy sauce, eggplant, cheese, and meat
- Avoid spicing your food
You may have:
- ONE extra serving of protein at dinner
- ONE extra serving of starch, such as an additional bread or one portion of rice or noodles, etc.
- ONE extra fruit above your daily fruit total
- If you are having two official pre-fast meals, the extras don’t apply to both; but rather to spread out between both meals or use at the second meal which is closer to the fast.
Good fruits to eat before a fast include: watermelon, grapes, and pineapple.
Coconut water has been found to be helpful before a fast but there is no need to overdo it. One cup is fine.
Regarding washing for the meals: since it’s not Shabbos, it’s better to have whole wheat bread or matzah versus challah.
After the fast:
Ideally, start with drinking 2 cups of water (room temperature versus iced cold)
This is your budget, preferably in this order but you may also switch the order if you wish:
- One complete approved meal from your weekday plan
- Up to 3 fruits
- 1 snack
- 1 treat if needed
Remember, you can NOT make up a whole day in a short time span.
If you wash and have a seuda, remember that it’s not Shabbos so no need for challah. Stick to whole wheat bread or matzah.
Have an easy fast!
CLICK HERE for the PDF