20 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon tahini paste
3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the thin film of skin off of the garlic cloves and cut off tips.
- Lay on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil to coat the garlic.
- Pinch the foil closed and roast until the garlic cloves are soft – for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Open foil and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Transfer the cloves to a food processor. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, and salt, and purée until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
- Serve sprinkled with sumac, parsley, and drizzled with more olive oil if desired.
Makes 4 servings. Count each serving as a protein and a fat.
CLICK HERE for the PDF