Try this lightened-up version of a blooming onion to get all the delicious taste without the extra calories.
- 1 very large yellow onion
- 2 eggs + 4 egg whites
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice off the onion stem and set the onion on the flat side.
- Cut an inch from the root down, into 12 sections, being careful not to cut all the way through. Flip over and gently pull out sections of onion to separate petals.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 1 tablespoon water. In another shallow bowl, whisk together bread crumbs and spices and season with salt.
- Dip the onion into egg wash, then dredge in bread crumb mixture, using a spoon to fully coat.
- Set onion on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden and tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
Makes 2 servings. Count each serving as a lunch. Add a salad.
CLICK HERE for the PDF