Bored of the same old grilled chicken? Try this Middle Eastern Style Chicken Shawarma recipe – your entire family will love it! Don’t be scared off by the different spices – it’ll give your dish the authentic taste you are looking for!
- 1 pound, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half, lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
- Place the chicken breasts, 1 at a time, in a Ziploc bag. Pound each breast to an even thickness, about ½-inch thick and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil and lemon juice. Whisk until combined. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, red pepper, salt and black pepper, and whisk again.
- Pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken, massaging it to evenly coat. Refrigerate and marinate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine the marinated chicken, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Over medium-high heat, grill the chicken for 3 minutes or until it no longer sticks to the grill. Turn the chicken and grill an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to cool for 5 minutes then slice it thinly, across the grain.
Makes three servings. Count each serving as a protein. Enjoy!
CLICK HERE for the PDF